Monday, September 23, 2013

White Settlement

First of all, I'm feeling lots better! ... It truly is miraculous how I am doing so much better...I do believe in miracles! I am grateful for the strength God has given me because I freakin' love it here! I love being a missionary! I am officially a normal missionary again and I'm so happy right now. :) I'm really not worried about things anymore.... And I really am doing much better than I was! EEEEE! :)
So yes. I went to the eye doctor. Lots of times I think the doctors just want my money more than they actually want to help me. My eyes are healthy but they gave me prescription glasses to maybe help any strain that could cause a headache. Funny because it makes it harder to see with the glasses! HA! I have great eye sight if I do say so myself! I feel like it makes my head worse. But she wants me to constantly wear them for two weeks to see if it does anything. I literally tripped and fell probably 4 or 5 times within the next few hours after wearing them. So I tried to get these giant nerd glasses...and the lady worker said "Ummm...no. No...I can not let you get those." "but but but but!" She said they were way too big for my face. That's kind of the point lady! Ha ha! Then she brought me gross, skinny glasses that made me start throwing up when I saw myself in them because they were so hideous!!! I was like lady...you are cray cray. So we found a happy medium pair that we agreed on. I will send pics!  
So White Settlement...It is very much in da ghetto, but humble. I looooooooove it. Lots of street contacting! Lots of teaching! Busy busy! So remember the shootings from Washington DC last week? Yeah, that guy was from White Settlement. Remember the Thai restaurant that he worked at? Yeah, literally down the street. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...oops. The public library...yeah...it has a pet cat named Browzer. There are stray cats EVERYWHERE. Remember how I'm not very fond of cats? Still hasn't changed. Most of the people we teach don't have any teeth....and when they do...they're rotting. Everything in our apartment has something wrong with it...the lights, toaster, oven, stove, shower, washing machine, etc. It's totally the missionary experience. So that kind of explains the area I'm in! Our ward is small...almost branch size but I'm oober excited!
I love my compangee Sister Lewis! I am her follow up trainer. She just barely finished training! Still waiting for my follow up trainer! ;) But there's only a few sisters who are older than me mission wise. That's crazy because I haven't even reached my halfway mark. ANYWAY, Sister Lewis and I have so much fun. We both like to work but also to laugh while doing so. I'd be lying if I said that I never made street contacts/door contacts in a British accent. It just gets stuck sometimes. I also tend to be snorting (literally) with laughter when people answer the door. But again...lots of new investigators and we are able to get in a lot more doors! :) I just loves being a missionary.
It is FINALLY starting to cool down! They say only a few more over 100 degree days! It was raining for a good couple days there...our power was out for awhile, BUT it has cooled down because of it! It really has been a really fun transfer so far.
A couple funny stories. We were teaching this family and the father pulls out this backpack...Apparently it's his "zombie apocalypse preparedness" bag... (I. Love. Zombies.) He starts pulling out full on axes out of this tiny little bag! It was so funny. It's Texas so we get antied often but this lady (I call her the dragonfly lady) tracked us down and started telling us that we were demons because we call the Savior "Jesus" and that we are paagan worshippers and that Peter Smith is a nut....(Umm...Joseph?) And I didn't even bible bash! I only said a few maybe funny comments but I was a good girl. :) Just pray for that crazy lady because I'm worried for her salvation. Also, there was a ward party and they had a jug party. They made us missionaries get up and play in it and they sang a song dedicated to me called "Sister Baaaaarnes." That was pretty funny. But yes, I really am excited for this transfer! It's gonna be a good one!
I love y'all so much! Your prayers are being felt! The church is true and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to share it with everyone!
Love,
Sister Barnes
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment